People often ask me what I’m reading, or ask for book recommendations. There are those books that my soul has just devoured. I found them at the right time, and they hit exactly the right spot. There are lots of others – my favorite relationship books, business books or lifestyle books.
Here is my list of soul satisfying books, that I turn to over and over, and they never let me down.
1. Beach Music by Pat Conroy - set in two of the places I romanticize the most – Italy and the deep South, it has provided “food” for a ravenous soul many times over.
2. The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy – again set in the South and New York City, this beautiful novel explores the depths of sibling relationships and romantic love. Movie is also great.
3. The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker – translated from its initial German, this novel explores the depths of a family’s past and an unbroken and lifelong love story, reaching from NYC to Burma. Beautiful.
4. The Untethered Soul by Michael Singer – if you are searching for inner peace and emotional freedom, this is THE book for you. Before you even get into mindfulness, understanding your mind and how to consider your thoughts is a good first step.
5. When Nietzsche Wept by Irvin Yalom – muses over the birth of “talk therapy” in a novel in the late 1800’s, filled with love, affairs, despair and a deep friendship.
6. The Book of Secrets by Deepak Chopra – 15 ‘secrets’ to consider as you deepen your self-awareness and begin a journey of understanding who you are and why you think the way you do. I didn’t get it the first time I read this book, but I knew it was important, so I hung on. When I was ready, it blew my mind.
7. Tis by Frank McCourt – a beautiful memoir about a poor Irish immigrant in America, trying to make a new life for himself. I have a thing for Irish and American history, so this is a perfect mix.
8. Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger – a great collection of short stories with so many interesting life lessons. “He was rather like a Christmas tree whose lights, wired in series, must all go out if even one bulb is defective.” - J.D. Salinger, Nine Stories
9. A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett – one of those books that is so beautifully descriptive that you feel every emotion the protagonist does, right down to your mouth watering and your heart aching.
10. The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown – If you ever think “what will people think” and you want to get to that place where it really doesn’t matter? This is the book for you.
11. Daring Greatly by Brene Brown – How to embrace vulnerability, the only path to emotional wellness, connectedness and belonging.
If any of these are your favorites, you’ve read them, or you have a comment, please let me know! I’d love to engage with you on these.